We were sidelined yesterday due to Winter Storm Jonas but that’s ok because it was the perfect opportunity to really focus on my home based business.
Our community center where we work out was closed, my son’s basketball games were cancelled, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground (my son wasn’t too happy with me because he was assigned the task of shoveling…LOL!) and we’re the lucky ones here in Pittsburgh, PA. Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and New York got way more than that!
So, what did I do? And, what can you do if you’re socked in too? I caught up on some training that I’ve been sitting on (actually, going back to old training courses that I bought ages ago and never finished – have you ever done that?). Being snowed in is a perfect excuse to stay put and get stuff done.
There are some things that I need to do to move my business forward and yesterday I started working on my plan to do so. Some things that I will be working on are:
- Facebook posting schedule
- Twitter posting schedule
- Content for both social media platforms
- Plan for the flow of content that I want to share with everyone in my niche market
Where are you in your business? Where do you want to be 5 years from now? 1 year from now? 6 months from now? Your plan needs to be congruent with your goals. It’s like a road map. What are the action items that you need to do in order to reach your goals? For me, my action items are centered around my goal of serving my niche market of home based business owners and helping them leverage social media in order to generate leads on a daily basis.
Action Items for Taking Your Home Based Business Plan Online
- Write Your Story – what’s your background, why did you decide on a home based business, what is your “why”?
- What are your goals – 5 year plan, 1 year plan, 6 month plan. This requires an understanding of your compensation plan and how many sales you need to make to reach your goals. What will you need to do consistently on a monthly basis to earn the income goal you have set for yourself? Get clear on that.
- Find a good mentor or coach – your upline may be great, but they may not be, and, truthfully, it’s not up to your upline to make sure you succeed in your home based business. YOU are the only one who is responsible, so YOU need to be resourceful enough to find the answers to questions you have without thinking it’s up to your upline to answer them for you. But, sometimes, you just need some guidance and it’s important to be able to find someone, or a group of people with a proven system to show you how it’s done.
- Figure out who your target market is – your target market is the people who would be served well by the products and/or services that you and your company offer. Make sure you really know who they are and what their pain points are so you can speak to those points in your marketing
- Decide whether you want to use offline marketing methods or online marketing methods – if it’s offline, that’s great. Start by writing a list of everyone you know and start calling, emailing, and talking to them about your new business. If it’s online, great! I’m going to help you with that step next.
- Decide which social media platform you want to use – Between Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube, there are billions of people all over the world who are searching for what you’re offering. But, at first, it would be too overwhelming to start marketing on all of them. Start with one (preferably the one that resonates with you most) and learn how to market to people in your niche on it. As soon as you’re generating 10 leads a day on that one, add another one. If you have no idea which one to start with, I’ve written a guide on how to figure that out which you can get to right here
Whichever method you decide upon, the main thing you have to realize is that the home based business industry is a relationship business. Period. People only buy from people they know, like, and trust so if you don’t take the time to develop relationships with people you meet (online or offline), they’ll never want to work with you. You wouldn’t walk into a party or any social gathering and immediately throw your business website link around, so don’t do it online either.
Future posts will detail each social media platform and feature tips and strategies to get results. If you’re in a hurry, click here to be taken to a $10 trial of the marketing system that I’m using.
Till next time,