You have a great blog, but no one knows it! YIKES! What can you do to get readers to your content without standing outside with a sandwich board around your neck and jumping up and down?
Here are 6 ways to grow your blog audience:
1. Promote Your Content
The best way to grow your blog audience is to promote your content. Promote every post you publish as much as possible. For example, instead of just sharing your post on social media, pin the shares of your post to the top of your Twitter profile and Facebook page.
Social sharing is a must on your blog. Make sure you have the sharing icons that are made available with multiple WordPress plugins. The one on my blog is called Genesis Simple Share. When you write a blog post, be sure to share it with your social media accounts first so you have a number in the box. That way, when other people come to your blog, they won’t feel like they’re the first one to share it AND you start the ball rolling for getting your post out there.
2. Interact with other blogs. This helps create relationships with both the blogger whose blog you’re interacting with and the people who follow that blog.
- Make interesting, relevant comments on popular blogs. This will spark curiosity about your blog, and you may be able to pull followers.
- Respond to every comment someone leaves on your blog. You want the person who is responding to your entry to feel welcomed, respected and deserving of attention. This will make them more likely to talk about and share your blog with other people.
- Find blogs similar to yours to interact with – liked minded individuals will want to see your view on the interest you share.
- Respond to popular, topical articles or blog posts on your own blog. People like to see how writers interact with each other and will be interested to see how you responded to someone whose opinion they care about.
3. Submit your posts and links to your blog on tools like forums, discovery engines, peer-sourced news feeds and social networking sites.
This is very natural way to create interest in your blog among bloggers and non-bloggers alike.
- The goal here is similar to cross blogging – get your content out on as many venues as possible.
- Consider using your personal social media accounts and email signatures to get people who are already connected to you connected to your blog.
4. Write great headlines and subject lines. If people see an entry with a truly eye-catching lead, they’re more likely to read it than something that seems dull or dry.
- Consider how headlines affect the likelihood that someone will click on a cross posted or shared link. Interesting headlines and subject lines are essential to successfully gathering interest through third parties.
5. Stay consistent. Don’t lose followers because you failed to update for a while, or changed the theme of your blog unexpectedly.
- If you’re finding it hard to update at least weekly, look at similar blogs to yours and find entries that created a lot of comments. Lots of comments means that this person wrote about a controversial topic and you can use your response to someone else’s blog as a foundation for your own entry.
- If you want to post something unusual given the theme of your blog, consider mentioning that and posting it under a link instead – your followers will appreciate that you’re thinking about their time and interest.
6. Use SEO (search engine optimization) to drive traffic from searches that are done on the popular search engines like Google and Bing. The one that I use on my blog is called Yoast SEO. It’s the easiest and most robust tool for SEO.
I hope you got value from this article. If so, please feel free to comment below and share it with your friends.
Till next time,
P.S. If you would like to learn from one of the greatest bloggers there is, CLICK HERE! You will learn everything from how to find content to how to monetize your blog all in a step by step and very easy to understand fashion. I love this course…one of my favorite ones that I’ve ever taken!