When we first decided that we wanted to be in business for ourselves, most likely it was due to some life circumstance that made it imperative that we needed to figure out a way to make it on our own. For me, it was my job being eliminated and wanting to stay home with my two little boys.
For you, maybe it’s that you realized that you’d rather build your own dream life instead of the one you’re helping your boss work toward. Or, you want to spend more time with your family doing the things you love to do. Whatever the reason, there are specific things that will predict whether or not you are going to be successful as an entrepreneur.
6 Things You Must Have To Be Successful As An Entrepreneur
Mindset – Having a positive outlook and winning attitude is what drives people to achieve success. It’s not unusual for people to have trouble adopting this attitide. You will need to reprogram the way your mind works and take control of your reactions towards external factors. Once you’ve conquered your negativity and learned to calm your natural instincts, you’ll be able to find success much more easily in your personal and business life.Many successful people claim that having a positive mindset helped them reach many goals, like moving up to the next income bracket or moving their business into the six or seven-figure range. Stephen Richards, author of The Power of Positive Thinking, puts it simply: “Our way of thinking creates good or bad outcomes.”
Tips for Creating a Positive Attitude
Shawn Achor, author of “Before Happiness,” recommends the following ways to fight negativity and cultivate a positive attitude:
- Don’t skip meals. Negativity and anger are common side effects of missing meals. Your brain can’t function at its best when you routinely forego mealtime for work.
- Change the scenery. When you’re frustrated, seek out a new environment. The smaller issues you are struggling with will fade and be put into perspective when you leave your office, house or wherever it is you became upset.
- Get a different point of view. It’s good to talk to people who have the same views as you, but sometimes it’s better to get a different opinion. Talk to someone out of your age group or outside of your industry, and try to understand their point of view on certain issues. You might come away with some valuable insight.
Other Important Factors That Influence Your Mindset
It’s not just how you react to life that influences your way of thinking; it’s the way you treat yourself. Make sure you are taking care of your physical and mental health by following these tips:
- Spend time with positive people. If the people around you are intelligent and well-adjusted, you are likely to imitate them and feel similarly.
- Nourish your body. If your body is struggling to make do with junk food, your brain is also going to have a hard time. Think about your food choices and give yourself what you need to be healthy.
- Watch your language. Cut down on the complaints and make more effort to be positive when speaking.
- Be grateful. Never forget about all the wonderful things you have. A soft bed, a television, a computer—not to mention food, water and shelter.
For a wonderful article by Helen Sanders, Chief Editor of “Healthy Ambition”, that deals in great detail about positive thinking, CLICK HERE! You’ll be glad you did.
The right niche or target market – one of my favorite sayings is “if you’re marketing to everyone, you’re marketing to no one”. So true…you really need to figure out who your ideal customer is. That’s not to say that you won’t ever sell your product to anyone else, but your primary target is who you define. Read How to Identify Your Target Audience for hints on this one.
Budget – Whether you’re just getting started in business and you don’t have a lot of money, or you’ve been in business for awhile and you have money to spend on advertising, you need to spend money to make money. That’s all there is to it. A lot of people think that they’ll start with free traffic, but the truth of the matter is that there’s no such thing as free traffic. Paid advertising is faster and more scalable than free and you should be able to invest at least $50 per week on advertising. Then, whatever profit you make should be reinvested in more advertising.
The right product to provide solutions to your niche – this might seem obvious, but you must have the right products that are going to solve the problems of the people in your target audience that you defined above. You might have some good products but if they don’t solve your audience’s problems, they won’t sell.
Skills to write ads – you need to get good at copywriting in order to write good ads. There are great courses online to teach copywriting like this one on effective copywriting or this one on writing headlines that sell
Skills for effective followup – it’s all about the relationships and since people typically don’t buy on the first look, you need to get good at writing good followup emails to them. Once they know, like, and trust you, they’ll be more likely to buy whatever it is that you’re selling.Click here to learn more about my done-for-you system.
Till next time,