When you started your journey down the home based business path, the first thing your upline told you was to write a list of 250 people that you know, right? RIGHT! When they saw the look on your face, they then said “I know that you know 250 people. Think about your wedding invitation list and start there.”
They then said, now you’re going to call everyone on that list to tell them about your new business. That method does work for some people, but although I had no problem writing that initial list of 250 people, it did not work for me. Why? Because I didn’t feel comfortable “pitching” my business to unsuspecting individuals. What would they think of me for being in one of “those” pyramid scheme businesses? Why is she doing one of these instead of continuing with her information technology career (I had lost my job as Director of Technology at a non-profit)? That’s what led me to the internet…it’s better to become the huntED rather than the huntER!
So, here’s what you’ve clicked on this blog post for…the 5 steps you need to take in order to get your online networking started the right way.
- Pick a social media platform that you would like to build your online business with and master it. For me, it was Facebook because I was on there any way and it’s a social gathering. You can never have too many friends, so that’s the platform I chose to start with. You may choose Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, or Pinterest. Whatever you choose, though, focus on it for at least 90 days and learn from experts who have already done what you are looking to do. Once you start generating at least 10 leads a day on that one platform, then you can add another one.
- Once you’ve chosen your platform, look at it as a meeting place where your only goal is to simply meet people. This is a relationship business. So many times, people try to be someone they’re not when they get on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media platform. They immediately go into the “Buy my stuff because it will solve your problem today” pitch. Think of it this way…if you wouldn’t say that to someone you meet in person either at a social gathering or a networking event, DON’T say it online. Just be real…be you and talk like you normally would. To start, just say “Hi!”
- Pick your niche market – Click Here for an exercise that will help you with this. The key is to be as specific in your targeting as possible.[file_download style=”1″][download title=”Defining%20Your%20Target%20Market” icon=”style1-Pdf-64×64.png” file=”http://www.janshawrecommends.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Define-Your-Target-Market-Exercise.pdf” package=”” level=”” new_window=”Y”][/download][/file_download]
- Create valuable content. This is probably the most important step because it’s your content that people are going to be attracted to. If you are offering a solution to your target market’s problems, people will see you as an expert in your niche. Ask your target market what their biggest business challenge is or what they would like you to train them on. Don’t be scared about the word “expert” because even if you just started your business yesterday, you are one day ahead of the person who just started today. Always be offering value and remember this…IT’S ALL ABOUT THEM and never about you!
- Start driving traffic to your content/offer. We’ll go more into this in later videos and blog posts but just know that there are 2 kinds of traffic generating methods. There is free traffic which takes longer but is definitely doable and then there’s paid traffic (PPC, PPV) which is faster but you definitely need a budget. I actually do both and we’ll talk about this in another training.
I hope this helped you get your head wrapped around getting started online and that you got value out of it.
Until next time,
P.S. Underlying all of this is that you need to have a great system behind you that supports your goals and enables you to grow YOUR business with tools and a community that you can use on a daily basis. If you’re looking for a system like that and a mentor to help you through it, click on the image below. Not only will you get a 45 minute, FREE training session from industry rockstar Todd Falcone, you’ll be introduced to the system that I use.